Refer to the Secure PEPPER Access Guide (PDF) for step-by-step instructions on how to download your PEPPER.
The following providers will receive PEPPER via the PEPPER Portal :
- Long-Term acute care hospitals
- Critical access hospitals
- Free-standing Inpatient rehabilitation facilities
- Free-standing partial hospitalization programs (PHPs) and PHPs administered by providers other than short-term acute care hospitals or IPFs
- Free-standing skilled nursing facilities (SNFs)
- Home health agencies (HHAs)
The PEPPERs are available through the PEPPER Portal. They will remain accessible for approximately two years from the original release date. Providers do not need to register to obtain the report. Join the email list to receive information regarding future PEPPER releases and training opportunities.
Please note these requirements to access PEPPER via the PEPPER Portal:
- Access to the PEPPER is restricted to the provider’s chief executive officer, president, administrator, compliance officer or quality assurance/performance improvement officer. Corporate offices and/or facility management companies will need to obtain PEPPERs from each individual provider in their organization. Note: if a provider does not have anyone with any of these titles, the person who has the authority to make decisions on behalf of the organization should check the box for the title that best describes their position. The PEPPER Team has received a number of questions regarding who can access a provider’s PEPPER via the PEPPER portal. The portal was designed to meet CMS security standards and to comply with guidance from legal counsel. A provider’s PEPPER is considered sensitive data. We recognize that restricting access to a provider’s PEPPER to the Chief Executive Officer, president, administrator, compliance officer or quality assurance/performance improvement officer (the individual who has the authority to make decisions on behalf of the organization) may disappoint some provider staff who seek to obtain their provider’s PEPPER. Please keep in mind that previously PEPPERs were sent in hard-copy format to the attention of the chief executive officer, administrator or compliance officer. PEPPERs distributed via QualityNet are available to those with QualityNet accounts; these individuals must go through a rigorous application process in order to obtain access to QualityNet. We apologize for any inconvenience these security restrictions present, however the PEPPER Team is committed to ensuring and maintaining the confidentiality of each provider’s PEPPER and asks for your understanding and cooperation.
- Requestors will be required to enter their 6-digit CMS certification number (also referred to as provider number or PTAN). This is *not* the same number as the tax identification number or national provider identification number.
- For verification purposes, requestors will be required to enter either a patient control number (found at form locator 03a on the UB04 claim form) *or* a medical record number (found at form locator 03b on the UB04 claim form) for a traditional fee-for-service Medicare Part A patient who received services at the provider during this specified time period:
- For the version Q4CY19 PEPPER released in August 2020 for HHAs and PHPs, October - December 2019 (either the “From” or “Through” date on the paid claim is between October 1 - December 31, 2019)
- For the version Q4FY19 PEPPER released in July 2020 for SNFs, Hospices, IRFs, and LTs: July - September 2019 (either the “From” or “Through” date on the paid claim is between July 1 - September 30, 2019)
- For the version Q4FY19 CAH PEPPER released in July 2020, hospitals will use the validation code which was emailed to their QualityNet Administrators or contact as identified in the Provider Enrollment, Chain, and Ownership System (PECOS).
Note: Do not enter any commas, decimals, dashes or spaces. Patient names cannot be entered due to patient privacy laws.